How to install PDAgent
PD Agent is only required to be installed on user workstations in the following cases:
- Print queues are loaded locally, i.e. the user is not printing via a print server. Their jobs are being sent directly to the printer.
- The user will be making use of popup account billing, i.e. this user needs to bill prints or phone calls to accounts other than their auto-bill account (e.g. clients/matters).
- Rules are enforced, and their method of notification is to popup on the user workstation (as opposed to sending an email or displaying on the printer panel).
If the users are printing via a print server, and no local popups are required, they do not require the PDAgent to be installed.
Locate the Print Director installation source
Often the installation source is saved to the server in a folder labelled Print Director in the root of a drive. In many cases it is shared as \\servername\PrintDirector. If the source cannot be located, please contact your service provider.
Execute the CD\SetupPDAgent.msi file
Once the installation source has been located, we can proceed to install the PDAgent.
- Copy the SetupPDAgent.msi file to the user’s workstation.
- Double click the SetupPDAgent.msi file and complete the wizard. Note, you may be requested to enter different user credentials when installing because administrative access rights are required.
- At the end of the wizard, the database connection settings window will be displayed. Fill in the Server Name textbox using this format: servername\instancename. If the SQL instance on the server is the default instance (i.e. MSSQLSERVER) then the backslash instancename is not required. For example, if the server host name is ACMEPS01 and the SQL was installed as the default instance, then only ACMEPS01 must be entered. If the SQL was installed with instance name PD, then the Server Name text box must contain ACMEPS01\PD.
- The database name is PDDB2. This should only be changed if your IT specifically created the Print Director database using a different name because of other IT requirements.
- The User Name and Password fields would normally be left with the default values. If your IT has changed either the username or password for the Print Director user, please update these fields accordingly.
- Click OK.
- If an error message is displayed, it means that either the SQL Server is unreachable, or the settings entered are incorrect.
Document revision date: 2018/10/29
Software version: 220.127.116.11